The jarocho style has a lot of banging on the heels, and I began to see how that sound was a like a drumbeat, like the zills , like shimmies – that it raised a sweet serpent of energy that whirled around the dancers and encompassed us, the audience.
I had tried to stand up on the balcony so that I could get a better view to film, but I ended up on the floor right in front of the dancers. And that is the best way to appreciate this dance. It pulled me in and danced me around. It made me think of why I love the dance gigs at Solstice CafĂ© or any of these other places where we dance right there at eye level with the audience – because it is less of a performance and more of a sharing, a drawing in. Tonight I was breathing with the dancers, my heels tapping away, feeling the sweetness as they looked at each other in this dance of courtship. It was ecstatic. I had begun the evening tired, and now I was energized, smiling, full of heart. I hope that is how people feel when they watch us dance.

No comments:
Post a Comment