Tuesday, October 20, 2009

performance and service

Thanks again to John for stimulating more thoughts on these matters. We were talking about performance, and I was reflecting on my priestessing activities. Of course, theater has its roots in religious rites, so in a sense all performance is, or could be, at its root sacred. But I suppose some of the difference is what one expects from the "audience". Performance implies that the audience watches and appreciates, just as I dance. In that sense, I don't see Priestessing as performance. When I lead ritual, I try to guide people to a place where they can have an experience with the Divine. Just as when I read Tarot, I view it more as a service than a performance because of the interaction with the participant.
Does that have any comparisons with music and performance Rick?

1 comment:

  1. Townes Van Zandt said there are two kinds of music, blues and zippitty doodah. When you're playing blues or jazz, it's more like inviting someone to share an experience you're having. It's like I'm going to fully have this experience of playing as far and as deep as I can in your presence and you're responsible for your own experience. I think this is why Miles Davis used to turn his back on the audience. He wasn't playin' no zippity doodah.

    ReplyDelete